Tuesday, March 1, 2011

How to paint stripes


Okay, you know the stripes on walls that aren't straight? They have bumps from where the texture made the tape not stick to wall. Well, I HAVE THE SOLUTION! Caulking the tape before painting makes it lovely and straight. And for an OCD person like myself, the extra step is totally worth it. 
Caulk is very economical. I bought mine for about $1.20 at Walmart and the caulking gun for $1.70 also at Walmart. I had heard about using caulk before, but I was skeptical. I didn't want the caulk to rip off the color underneath, or to just come off and take the stripe color with it. It worked fabulously though, and next time I do stripes, I will definitely do it this way again.


This is the first step, tape off the sections you want to
paint. I used a level and a pencil to mark where I
wanted the stripes to go.
Put the caulk on the inside of the strips, try to blend it
into the wall, so there won't be a line in the paint.



Paint, and remove the tape!




Linking to: Jennifer Rizzo

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

LOVE IT!!!! I need you to come paint my kids rooms :)

Logan & Lora Schenk said...

Erin! I LOVE that you have a craft blog! That is just so fun and I LOVE this wall! Love ya!

Stefanie Thomson said...

Erin when we were at your place and I saw it in person I think you did a fabo job!! What a great idea you are sooooo talented!!!!

Tonya @ Love of Family And Home said...

Your stripes look fantastic!!! My mom & I are getting ready to paint stripes in my son's room & were just discussing the issue of the paint running underneath the tape because my walls have a slight texture to them! Caulking will be the perfect solution! Thank you so much for sharing this project!!

Erin said...

Thanks all for your comments! Tonya, I know this will work for you the extra step is definitely worth it!

Meghan Elaine said...

These look great! I've often wanted to try stripes but been intimidated...you've inspired me :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...